What is better – a .com.au domain or a .com domain? It’s all a matter of who your customers are and where they are located.
If you’re a business in Australia, with an Australian target market, stick with .com.au wherever possible as you’ll benefit from more visibility on searches within Australia.
Conversely, go with .com if you’re selling internationally – particularly to the American market.
In addition to .com.au and .com, however, there are many domain extensions available.
- The new Australian domain .au
- Other country code domain extensions such as .net.au and .org.au for Australia or .co.nz, .net.nz or .org.nz for New Zealand
- Other global domain extensions like .co, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .tv and various others
- Restricted-use or closed domains available only to educational institutions or government entities such as .edu.au and .gov.au in Australia or .edu and .gov in America
- Generic or industry-relevant domain extensions like .accountant, .boutique, .cafe etc, which are fairly new in comparison, aren’t trusted as much by search engines and therefore typically find a harder time ranking organically